The Corn Exchange

George IV loved horses, and built a huge set of stables on the Pavilion estate. This room was part of the riding house. Here George and his guests could ride their horses in bad weather. It was also used for training young horses, and for riding competitions.

Brighton Dome's Corn Exchange as a riding school

© Royal Pavilion & Museums, Riding House, 1826

 

The Corn Exchange takes it name from a weekly corn market that started here in 1868. This market was held every week until the Royal Pavilion was converted into a military hospital in 1914.

Brighton Dome's Corn Exchange during WW1 as a hospital ward

© Royal Pavilion & Museums, Corn Exchange Ward, 1915

This room was used as a large hospital ward, with up to six rows of beds running across it. It was one of the brightest rooms on the whole estate, as the windows let lots of light flood in.

Royal Pavilion, Brighton, Corn exchange photographed as a hospital during 1916

© Royal Pavilion & Museums, Corn Exchange Ward, 1916

Today the Corn Exchange is used for events, such as concerts, conferences and markets.