Brighton Dome was part of the Royal Pavilion’s stables. When it was completed in 1808, it was actually much larger than the Pavilion at that time. George joked that his horses were treated much better than he was.
The Dome provided room for over 60 horses. It was also the home of the grooms and stable boys who looked after the horses. George even built an underground tunnel connecting the Pavilion to the Dome, so that he could visit his horses without being seen or rained on.
By 1914 the Dome had become a concert hall. It was converted into the largest hospital ward on the Pavilion estate. Beds were laid out on both the ground floor, and the balconies upstairs. Another operating theatre was set up in the hallway that leads into this room.
The Dome is still used for concerts and events venue today. The auditorium has been modernised, and no longer matches photographs of the WW1 hospital. But we can still get a sense of how large the space is, and how the ward was set up.